Location Geocoding Web Application
Maptuit® wanted to rebuild their web-based location management system, an application integral to the success of their flagship in-vehicle navigation solution (FleetNav™). The goal was to address functional and usability deficiences found in the first version of the product, as well as to abstract architectural patterns for other applications under the FleetNav™ umbrella.
Maptuit® customers make heavy use of the Locations Manager application, associating problem street addresses to lat/long pairs and link IDs on the street network. This allows accurate fleet routing directions to be delivered wirelessly to trucks in their clients' fleets. Maptuit® needed a trusted partner that could work independently to design and build the system, as well as manage the involvement of other Maptuit® developers and staff. Staff members' time was at a premium, as the company as a whole was occupied with a number of other concurrent new initiatives.
- Project planning and timeline estimation
- Management of a team of 3 technical developers
- Collection and management of requirements
- Participation in UI design discussions
- Technical design of overall system
- n-tier enterprise software development using open-source technologies
- Customer migration planning and supporting development.
- Communication with Maptuit® CTO, FleetNav™ project leader, and Lead UI designer
We led a team of Maptuit® developers to deliver a complete solution with the following features, components, and technologies:
- Customer / User Management
- User Preferences
- Location Geocoding by candidate, alternate address, map, and lat/long
- Advanced Searching
- Location Audit Trail
- Web-based Interface
- J2EE Server, Model II Servlet Architecture
- Location Database
- Location XML Update Stream
- Integration with many core Maptuit® technologies
- Java Servlets
- MySQL, DB2 Databases
- Tomcat Application Server
- Maptuit® core servers (routing, geocoding, reverse geocoding, map rendering)
- Jonah was charged with re-using as much functionality as possible from other existing Maptuit® applications. Where applicable, Jonah refactored existing code and created appropriate code abstractions, preparing the substrate for efficient future development.
- Standards-based technologies and lightweight architectural and design patterns were chosen to fit with the company's existing software development style, philosophy, and budget. Jonah designed a complete system using open-source technologies, yet still supporting an enterprise-class production environment.
- The application had to be designed and built in such a way as to provide a migration path for existing customers, as well as their valuable data. Jonah participated in careful planning with the Maptuit® QA manager, release manager, FleetNav technical lead, and various other business and technical staff to allow this to occur successfully.
- In addition to the technical design and project management roles, Jonah managed communications on the project from the QA specialist up to FleetNav lead and the CTO, delivering only the most immediately relevant information to only the most appropriate members of a very busy Maptuit® staff.
(416) 304-0860 ext. 112